Tuesday 27 December 2011

The Tree Of Life...or something like that...

There are very few places in Hamilton that really stir my soul. I rarely get that weak in the knees or gut reaction to a place. I guess the beauty of a steel city is not what I would consider...well...beautiful. There are of course its' hidden gems. From the waterfalls masked by beautiful woods to the liveliness of Gore Park to my favourite place of all time, the Mountain Brow.

I know. I know. It's so obvious. Everybody likes the brow. It's beautiful no matter what time of year, but I have a specific reason for it being my favourite place. It is because the park houses my all time favourite tree. You may not know this about me but I am a tree freak! I am just so drawn to them. I blame J.R.R Tolkien for making me believe that trees are more than just trees...but that they are alive ( I still believe this by the way). I have seen so many beautiful, ancient, wise, old trees but this one takes the cake. I can remember climbing its branches when I was little. I remember sitting in it and having deep life discussions with my friends in high school. I remember my dad taking me here and I remember making my family pose in this tree for family photos (family tree...get it?)

I feel safe in this tree and I feel like it's been there watching me while I grew up. I know that sounds crazy and I also know that that tree doesn't have thoughts...but what if it did? Would it know who I was. Would it know that it has been there for me through some bad times. Would it ask me to stop climbing it? Who knows, but these are things I like to think about. I know that that tree will still be around (hopefully) when I have children, and when my childrens' children have children. Trees are good like that. You can trust that they will never change (only for the seasons) and they will never leave. It's beautiful really.

I realize that this makes me sound like I'm massively sentimental about a tree...but I guess I kind of am. Somehow a piece of wood can create so many emotions. I love most trees but this one just speaks to me. I know it's not mine, it belongs to anybody who appreciates beauty in Hamilton, but I still call it mine, because for very short moments in my life it has been mine and I'm glad it will always be around when I need somewhere to go.

My tree on December 26th, 2011.
Me, sitting in my tree Dec 26, 2011 <3
My family tree in full bloom circa May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment