Wednesday 9 May 2012

My first fashion foray


If you are living in the Hamilton area I thought you should know about some of the cool shops you may find in the nooks and crannies of our fair city...or at least my top 5! This was realllllllly hard to narrow down. I did not include any stores you would find in a mall. I tried to keep it to those little hole in the walls where you can get a lot for not a lot. 

First up (and I may be a little biased because I work here) is Talize:
Talize is re-inventing thrift shopping. Great names, brands and trendy couture for less. Who could ask for anything more? Somebodies trash is someone else's treasure. Located on the bustling street of Upper James.

Talize was just recently involved in a fashion show at the Ultimate Women's Show. Here's a link to a video of some of the outfits you could put together by shopping at Talize. There's something for everybody!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZcGnIG4hrI

Rows and rows of fashion opportunities!

Second on the list is located in the extremely trendy neighbourhood of James Street North. Pretty much every shop on this street is amazing and artsy and definitely worth a look, but my favourite, the one that speaks to my soul is White Elephant. They specialize in vintage fashions and housewares. Pretty much everything looks like it came out of The Virgin Suicides and I just LOVE it!!
Check out their website...or better yet just swing on down to James St. N and take a gander yourself!
http://www.whiteelephantshop.ca/

Where the romance of the past meets the rush of the present!

Third on the docket is the enemy...I mean..urrr...the competition. Value Village. Also a thrift store, also good deals, also somewhere you want to shop if you like looking through racks. It's like a shopping adventure. I had to include them because well...it's undeniable that combined with a trip to Talize (shameless promotion) you will go home with many treasures (and lots of laundry).
http://www.valuevillage.com/

Where else could you find pieces like this? (oh ya...Talize :P)

The fourth store is young, is thrift-ish and is also owned by a friend of mine! Bodega! BODEGA!! Say it. It's fun! Bodega! (Once more with feeling!) Located at 220 King Street West is a shop where you will not only find some of the most hip fashions, but while you are there why not hit up their Beauty Bar? Yes that's right they offer waxing... from brows to Brazilians (oh my), eyelash and eyebrow tinting, nail art & polish changes, ear candling, weave buns and braids.WHAT? Is this place real? Yes it is. Now GO.
http://www.thebodega.bigcartel.com/

Oh you fancy, huh!

The fifth store...last but not least is Harmony. Okay yes it is located in Jackson Square which to some may be considered a "mall" but let's not get too technical. I literally think I could spend entire pay checks in this store! The whole atmosphere is just... SO ME! That's not to say that it couldn't also be SO YOU! So go breathe in the incense and try on the jewellery and tell them I sent you...and I'm still waiting to hear about any job openings :P

Harmony does not have a website and that makes me sad. Oh well. Just go there. That's easier.

Go here to find Harmony (the store, not the state of mind...you won't find that here)

I hope you have enjoyed my top 5 favourite shops in Hammertown! Now go into the world and shop! Oh and if you have any favourite shops that you think I should check out or add to the list just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment